6.06.2009

48 Hour Book Challenge: Update 4

One last update for the night...


10:30-10:45PM: Snack/social break
10:45PM-1:42AM: Reading The Gatecrasher - FINISHED
1:42-2:02AM: Updating here :)

New totals:

Time: 10 hours 58 minutes
Books: 4: Hunted by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast, Hatter M by Frank Beddor, Wild Orchid by Cameron Dokey, The Gatecrasher by Madeleine Wickham
Pages: 969

A few words about The Gatecrasher by Madeleine Wickham (AKA Sophie Kinsella):


As this probably isn't as popular as the other books I've read, I'll just sum the premise up as a story about Fleur, a woman who crashes memorial services and funerals in order to find vulnerable men she can take advantage of for their wealth. This time, though, the man she's found herself involved with seems to have a more complicated past, plus a more complicated present family life. This book is what I'd call chick lit with a bit of meat. It's sweet and funny, but there's underlying social commentary so you don't have to feel guilty about reading it. Fleur certainly isn't the most sympathetic protagonist (at times she'll get on your nerves), but she certainly appealed to me more than Becky from the Shopaholic series. Also, I appreciate how Wickham didn't go for a fairy tale ending, considering the subject, though the ending did seem a bit abrupt. 7 out of 10.

I think I'm going to read Fragile Eternity for a bit. And by that I mean until I pass out (I have to admit, I've been yawning constantly so I'm probably fairly close to that point). So, goodnight! Best of luck to everyone else who is participating in the challenge!

1 comment:

  1. ooh-geektastic! LUCKY!!! Good luck with your challenge-you have some great reads!

    ReplyDelete