1.07.2010

Catching Fire

An absolutely thrilling sequel to The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins will blow your mind with Catching Fire. Katniss and Peeta made it out of the Hunger Games alive once, but can they do it again? As the living champions of the Hunger Games are pitted against each other, Katniss and Peeta realize that while being clever may have saved their lives the first time around, their behavior is now perceived as a threat to the Capital’s control and order. Meanwhile, the couple has managed to inspire hope among citizens opposing the Capitol, those who believe there’s a lot more going on than the government would like them to believe. As if survival weren’t enough to deal with, Katniss is still caught up in a sort of love triangle, struggling to understand how she feels about Peeta and Gale.

I enjoyed Catching Fire just as much as I did its predecessor. As expected, Katniss continued to be the strong protagonist I fell in love with in The Hunger Games. Though I was sometimes disappointed with her indecisiveness, I still loved her wit and bravery. I wish her interactions with Peeta and Gale had been developed further and had been less muddy, but I assume that will happen in the conclusion to this trilogy. Nevertheless, I was especially impressed by Collins’ play with time and symbolism in this installment. Though I wasn’t sure if the original premise would remain thrilling without Catching Fire seeming repetitive, Collins seems to do this with ease by focusing on the Quarter Quell, and I was never bored. I could hardly put the book down. This novel ends resolving sufficient loose plot lines to appease the reader, while leaving you desperate for the conclusion. 10 out of 10.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this one. I wish there was more detail on Gale though. Everyone is picking teams, but I see hardly any sufficient information from the books we can go by. But I can't wait for the third book; it's going to be amazing! :D Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous blog hop Erin :-) I really had a lovely time and am sure bella will love all the lovely cards heading her way :-)

      https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/thuoc-cuong-duong-nam-gioi-tot-nhat-hien-nay-suckhoetinhyeu-info/

      Delete